Sunday, October 01, 2006

A Walk Through Tent Rocks



Yesterday, I drove out to Cochiti Pueblo with my friends Paul and Cassin, and we hiked Tent Rocks. It's at times like this that I wish I had paid more attention to the eighth grade geology teacher we christened Stale Dale. (You Maryvillians know what I'm talking about.) But I was 14, and how could I think about crap like rock formations when there was important stuff on my mind like Simon Le Bon? Anyway, I wish I could bestow some sophisticated knowledge upon you and explain how these Dr. Seuss-like hills were formed, but I can't.

There's also a slot canyon there, and it's cool and intriguing to wind around the bottom of it. This summer's generous rains meant there was more vegetation than other times I'd been there, and this odd bush with a delicate yellow flower created the scent of honeysuckle mixed with vanilla in the early evening air.

My photos don't really do it justice, but enjoy!



Paul walks ahead while Cassin and I look at these funky tree roots.



Paul notes that perhaps a fourth Indiana Jones movie should be filmed here.



Cassin meanders through the slot canyon.



View from the end of the trail.

2 comments:

Sus said...

What a beautiful place! I can't help you with the geology -- I too paid no attention to Stale Dale. Of course, I sat next to LVZ and got in trouble daily because of it...

Thank you for sharing the pics!

Melissa said...

Gorgeous! It's so awesome that you aren't jaded to your home, and that you constantly are going out to enjoy both the nature and cultural experiences that surround you!
Stale Dale! He soooo earned that name. Not only did I sit next to my friend Jennifer who I talked to almost constantly, but that dreamy new boy, David Roberts sat just across the aisle from me. Who could concentrate sitting that close to him????