Saturday, October 28, 2006

A Day's Work



Behold, I have planted the iris bed! After culling together several different gardeners' on-line how-tos, I settled on a technique (clumping the rhizomes in threes) and then adapted their instructions for what I thought might be appropriate for a high-desert climate. (For example, I don't think there's any way over-watering will be an issue for us.) And I wanted them to be in a round mound, dammit. So I did that, too.

It was a gorgeous fall day today, and I managed to get us some pumpkins to carve this weekend when I was out picking up the gardening supplies I needed. There's still quite a bit going on in the garden considering it's late October, but my sunflower-sowing plans are foiled. You see, I had planned on saving my own seeds and scattering them around the property for a Van Gogh-like effect (sunflowers and iris--geddit?) but the birds beat me to it. All the sunflower seeds have been claimed as bird chow. Nevertheless, here's what a sunflower looks like stripped of its seeds. It's strangely beautiful, really.



Oh, and while I was digging around outside anyway, I decided it wouldn't be much more effort to water all 16 of the fruit trees. Yeah, right. Now I'm totally pooped--but happy in that job-well-done kinda way.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Beautiful work, Twishy! There's nothing like working with the land, is there?