Monday, May 21, 2007

Abiquiu Afternoon



A few weeks ago, I had to drive north to Chama for work. Tommy came with, and on the way home, we stopped in one of our favorite places, Abiquiu. This is the place O'Keeffe called "my country," and before you is El Cerro Pedernal, which she painted again and again. It had just rained when we were there, so the the wet red rocks were extra vivid, and the horizon darker blue. And the smell--high desert after a rain. Ahhh. . . the purest, best smell in the world.



Tommy had his eagle bone whistle with him, so he played an impromptu tune. I actually made a mini movie of it, so maybe someday I'll figure out how to load it to this blog. He stood at the edge of the Echo Ampitheater (below) so the flute sounds echoed through the countryside along with bird calls. It was a good day.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Gorgeous scenery! I would love to hear the Tommy music that accompanied it, as well. I love the flower pictures in your last blog as well. The world is a beautiful place, eh?

Sus said...

Great photos. It looks like you had a really beautiful day there.

I'm
tagging
you for a meme. Welcome to the blogosphere. ;)