Thursday, August 31, 2006

Our Threatened Habitat



Tommy, Bob, Liz, Juan, and I got word on Tuesday that the compound where we all live is officially for sale. For those of you who don't live in crazy boomtowns, what this means is, most likely, someone will buy these four continuous lots in a good neighborhood, level everything, and build condos. (Pictured above is our humble abode, but there are two other houses on the property. You can just barely see the entrance to unit B behind our place.) Sigh. Bummer. We really like it here, and we've enjoyed being little guardians of the earth what with tending all the apple trees and growing sunflowers and herbs. No wonder the landlord was so amenable to our suggestion of putting in new laminate flooring. . .

I'm just beginning to get over the emotional turmoil of it all. Moving. Again. In our future. Dammit. Tuesday night, Tommy and I agreed that it didn't really bother us, that we'd be okay of course--and then neither of us could sleep a wink.

Worst case scenario is that we'll sign a new lease very soon. That way, even the new owner has to honor it for a year, which buys us time to find new digs. Also, I've resolved that it's time for me to confront my fears, look at my credit rating, and take a homebuying class. It's time. Even though the thought of buying a home petrifies me, it's the only thing that makes sense. I keep telling myself that the worst that could happen is that I'd find out that my finances are so bad, I couldn't buy a place for 10 years or more, but still I'd know what I needed to do.

I confess, I'm intimidated. The median housing cost in this city is $439,000. That's a lot for little 'ol me. But it ain't over 'til it's over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer.

i have to admit, I was equally terrified of home-ownership. It's been great, though. I love our little neighborhood and I feel like I'm *home* in a way I haven't in years. (Especially since we rented the farm.)

Good luck sweetie-

Laura

Sus said...

Good luck, Trish. Life has a funny way of working out.

Tricia said...

Thanks guys, you're right. It's just at the moment, I feel kinda threatened. I'll get past it, I'm sure.